✔️ Information reviewed and updated in February 2024 by Pedro Martínez González
Scammers are one of the ways that brokers are called fraudulent or scammers. To achieve their mission, these criminals use all kinds of techniques to deceive people into their traps.
One of the most common methods is manipulation, a technique that involves a large number of additional strategies. That is why here we will tell you what are the most common manipulation techniques used by these scámmers to deceive you and thus end up stealing your money without you noticing.
➡The most common techniques✨
According to Javelin Strategy & Research, around 16 million people were victims of fraud, in 2017 alone. Some of the manipulation methods or techniques used to achieve their mission were the following:
Foot in the door
Considered one of the most used techniques by scammer brokers, it stands out for being common and easy to detect. Foot in the Door is about promising you a business with huge profits, rreally attractive and incredible, in exchange for a minimal investment, small compared to the profit you are going to generate.
The scammers will ask you for an initial deposit, show you “results” and tell you that you had losses and that you have to deposit more. Later, when you ask for the money generated thanks to your investments and their "advice" they will disappear and they will block you so that you cannot look for them again.
Door in the face
Similar to the previous technique, here a supposed financial advisor will contact you with the promise of offering you investment strategies to grow your money. To do this, it will ask you for an initial investment (something very common in any scrámmer) in order to start working.
The characteristic of Door in the Face is that the initial amount requested will be very high, so you will say no. Then, there they will offer you a discount or much lower investment so that you can finance it. As in the prior art, once they have the money they will disappear.
But you are free
This technique is a series of different techniques, as you can start, for example, with any of the above points. This is because, more than this technique it is as such, one of manipulation, which seeks to convince you using different types of resources.
Here, what is used are style phrases: "It depends on you", "I am not forcing you, I am guiding you", "That is an advice that I give you to help you, but the decision is yours". In this way, they seek to exempt themselves from responsibility by giving you a false feeling that you are in control.
that's not all
Promotions are a good way to scam people, which is why this technique is so used to attract many people. What stands out here is the use of so-called bonuses as the main way to catch people and steal their money.
In this technique, the scrámmer broker will tell you that you have a 100% bonus if you deposit $ 100, for example, then it will tell you that you have one more, but this time you must deposit 1,000. A) Yes, Little by little they will increase the amount, while they will use different resources to make you lose and steal your money.
Lure and Low Ball
Finally, we find this technique which is mainly focused on sales through upgrades or exclusive promotions. According to experts, this technique is one of the least legal, since changing the conditions of the "promotion" unexpectedly is illegal.
The strategy is simple, the broker offers you a supposed promotion such as an upgrade to your account to become a VIP in exchange for a deposit. After covering this deposit, the broker will contact you and tell you that the promotion did not apply because the conditions changed and it is necessary to deposit more money.
➡How to avoid this type of fraud? ✨
- Research the broker: To avoid being a victim of fraud, We recommend that you do a deep research on the broker. Check as much information as possible to find out if this broker is a scrámmer, or, on the contrary, is it trustworthy.
- Be curious: While this might seem a bit difficult, being curious might ah
give you a lot of headaches. Research everything you can about the broker and promotions, ask questions in the forum, find other users and even write to the broker to answer your questions.
- Distrust: When a broker sends you messages urgently, they are very insistent that you deposit money, they do not stop pressuring you, they ask you questions about your life and offer you unrealistic bonuses or huge profits Be careful! These can be red flags which are an indication that the broker is a scrámmer.
- Corroborate the information: If they tell you that a certain currency is having an excessive success that you cannot miss or that you can avoid taxes by depositing a certain amount, for example, it is better to err on the side of suspicion. That is why you must verify yes or yes all the information.
- Communication channels: A regulated broker will use official communication channels, for example email. If the broker writes to you, for example, at 10 pm via WhatsApp or Instagram DM, then it is better to be suspicious, since Fraudsters use unofficial communication channels to contact you.
- Refusal to give you your money: If you want your money back or just want to make a withdrawal, then These fraudsters are likely to put you many obstacles or obstacles. If this happens, let us tell you that it is likely that you have already been a victim of fraud, since if you cannot have your money it is because it has already been stolen.
Unfortunately, there are still no mechanisms that allow legal action against scrámmers and fraudsters. For now, it only remains to proceed legally in your country, as well as file a complaint with international organizations and report your experience in broker review forums.